Clir’s team works to quantify the risk reduction benefit so that the client can make an informed decision about whether to mitigate the risk. Our team has extensive experience working with operations, site and OEM teams, supporting our clients’ risk mitigation implementations.
A theoretical example of risk reduction in practice:
A wind farm in central Europe averages one to two lightning strike-related insurance claims per year, leading to relatively high insurance premiums. The majority of the lightning strikes are due to winter storms.
Enhanced inspection and monitoring regime to verify lightning protection integrity and identify damage before it turns catastrophic:
- monitors lightning strike incidents using a lightning detection network provided by Clir partner.
- adjusts the blade inspection and maintenance schedule to bi-annually, before and after the winter season.
- include internal blade inspection after the winter season.
- include lightning protection system inspection and maintenance before the winter season.
Augmenting the lightning protection system through retrofits by OEMs or 3rd party products can effectively reduce lightning strike risk.
Historical claim data from the wind farm.
Insights from Clir’s 200+ GW of operational wind farms data.
Information from Clir’s partnership with the lightning protection experts in the industry.
Clir’s lightning risk assessment, in accordance with applicable IEC standards.
Clir’s guided mitigation
- A small fee was paid to have the O&M provider adjust the frequency and method of inspection
- The contract was renegotiated at renewal to up the frequency of inspections
- An independent third party was brought in for verification
Clir Risk reports were issued before and after the mitigation approaches were taken. After taking into account the effectiveness of these mitigation approaches on lightning strike risk, the risk ranking — which was developed in collaboration with the insurance company — was reduced.
The farm reliability and availability increased, and the risk reduction was considered by insurers upon renewal.